The OB “Union” was established in 1932 by the first Old Boys of CGS as a means of keeping in touch with each other and the School. The “Union” was subsequently incorporated under the ACT Associations Incorporations Act 1991 (the Act) and renamed the Old Boys’ “Association” (OBA).
Since it was established, the Association has relied on volunteers from amongst its ranks to manage its affairs. Over the last 15 years, the number of people able to give up their time to serve the OBA has significantly diminished. In addition, the advent of social media has meant that old boys are now able to maintain contact with their classmates without the input of the OBA. Consequently, through resolution at its 2015 AGM, members of the OBA determined to seek to cancel the Association’s incorporation after more than 80 years of operation.
Under its Constitution and Rules, members also agreed at the 2015 Annual General Meeting to transfer the OBA’s assets to the CGS Foundation Scholarship Trust with a Deed of Gift providing for the application of the funds. The Deed of Gift specifies that the foundation will use the funds to support a scholarship, bursary or prize in the name of the Old Boys’ of CGS.
The Community Development Office will now continue the work that the OBA (and OBU) started and ensure all CGS Old Boys and the Alumni Community remain connected with the School and each other.
The School is very grateful for the efforts of the OBA Committee and thanks them for thier dedicated service to CGS Old Boys.